Skip to main content

Marriage, Kids & Aspirations


marriage challenges, marriage and office, women challenges, women issues after marriage, women aspiration, women empowerment, women struggle
“Beta ji, you are married now, wear something more traditional like suits and sarees.” Nodding with a dissented face, I accelerated towards the staircase. “A 7-inch gap at waist, between her blouse and saree? Hats off to you Auntyji”, I thought. How can the culture change drastically if I replace this with a short top and a pair of jeans?

The fatigue was taking a toll on me. After a hectic day at work and 3 hours of travel, all I wanted was my bed, my blanket and some peaceful time. I rushed towards the doorbell but (sigh) it seemed God wanted me to absorb some more. Here comes some more gyan from the pious guru (our chatter box neighbor), Mrs. Gupta! “Hello Beta ji, how are you? I was waiting to meet you. You look so pale. Must be a lot of work at office. I was talking to your family. Nowadays it is so difficult to plan a baby with this stressful life. But betaji, I must tell you, it is already 2 years since your marriage, slow down your career and focus on family.” Pheww….

Why can’t people leave the decision making to the couple? We live in a different era. There are people who happily settle down after marriage, but also there are people who have other ambitions and other priorities.

I am 27 and married. Though I don’t have any problem managing the domestic responsibilities (which is equally shared with my husband), I love my job too. I want to grow and excel in my career. I am independent and capable of making my own decisions. I am profound with current affairs. While having lunch or tea at office, I like to throw some serious discussion topics to my colleagues (politics, economics, people empowerment, business..) rather than circling the conversation on who’s who and  did what to whom. I politely refuse when men offer me their seats in bus and metro. I manage the finances. I believe there is far more a woman can do than running errands and raising kids.

Gender Equality, Women Empowerment – all these terms will remain as airy fillers unless the seeds of change are sown in the minds of people. I look forward to see the changed world where women independently make decisions and have equal rights in community, society and workplaces.

How to get there? Be the change you want to see- very rightly said. Well… first, break all the rules. Change yourself. Draw a sheath around yourself that protects you from all the primitive thoughts. Feel happy, feel confident and feel alive. Have a passion? Chase it.

At home: Education starts at home. Teach your kids/family how the women should be treated. It is not only your responsibility to look after the family. Managing a house brings equal responsibility on a couple’s shoulders. Make your daughters independent. Educate your sons on what they should expect in their life partner. Family who respect women at home, respect women outside as well.

At work: Companies are striving hard to make their culture women friendly. Therefore, let us also make the best use of this opportunity and position us as responsible employees who are equally capable as men. Work hard. Work smart. Figure out the best way you can manage house and reduce the no. of “work from home” days or unnecessary leaves. Take challenges, learn and take projects that involves learning and growth. The onus is equally upon us to come out of the stereotype “I am a woman” shell and demonstrate leadership.

You got a dream? You got to protect it. – The Pursuit of happyness

Yes, I dream to see women more independent and confident. I am game for this change. Are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brown Skin Girl

I was told that skin color is like a beautiful gown, soon I realized that my gown was brown. Gazing myself in the mirror I felt so glad, but immediately I was told that brown is bad.  And while growing up I felt every bit, that I am no beauty and I am like an ugly zit. People made fun without giving it a thought, that mocking about physicality hurts and hurts a lot. I felt like my confidence was beaten in a stone hurl, with plunging self-esteem I was no more a proud girl. People threw their advice without asking my consent, from what I should apply on my face to which color can get me compliments. I don't know why some even made that snark? "Your features are good though your complexion is dark". How does that matter? Why do you think you should make me feel better? My physique, my body is my identity. I am proud of it, why do you feel pity? This is me and I don't need your acceptance. Who gave you rights to snap those comments? Thanks to the condescending attitude yo

7 Sleazy Email Subject Lines That Will Kill Your Business

"Why waste a sentence saying nothing?" - Seth Godlin. Seriously, don't waste a sentence especially when it is the email subject line - the soul of the email ?  The first step towards the success of any email campaign is that email should get opened, therefore, a good subject line is extremely important. But, for some marketers, the difference between a good subject line and a misleading subject line has narrowed down. They abuse this powerful weapon to deceive customers into opening the email.  Here are some examples of deceptive subject lines:  You are invited -  For what? Your gift -  And approximately how much money I need to waste to avail this awesome gift? This is your last chance -  I am dying? Congrats! Your account just got created -  Did I ask for it? Your results are here -  What? Did I take any test?  Special discount only for you -  Really? Seems like it is for everyone on your website. Your lab results -   Was I sleepwalkin

First Day at Office: A perfect blend of excitement, anxiety and confusion

Remember the first time you sat on a train, or on a plane? Remember how your heart was infused with the adrenaline rush, when you fell in love the first time? All the firsts have some things in common:  excitement and nervousness -  the first day at college, the first meet with would be in-laws, the first kiss, the first interview, the first day at hostel… And then there is the first day at Office. Yup! I can write a memoir on my first day at the office. I wish my first day could be as smooth as the Po meeting his Panda Clan in the movie Kung Fu Panda 3. On a pragmatic thought, then why the heck I would be writing this. So, let me circle back to the main topic. My first day at office feels like below: Hi, Nice to meet you…  The initial days I feel I am meeting a lot of Monalisas'. Sometimes you will feel people are warm and smiling at you, and the other times you can see a frowning or an inquisitive face - Who is this stranger? Are we going to be friends, just c