Skip to main content

I Should Have Told Mom, I Should Have Been With Her....



So far till all her life Betsy was busy chasing, which she thought were her dreams, her passion, and a meaning to the life. This small town girl got everything she wanted- a stellar career, a home in the U.S., an exercise routine, a fit body, a loving husband, and a handsome salary. But, all this that so far looked "the world" to her suddenly felt very pointless.

The immortal guilt of not being with her parents has exploded her heart a thousand times. She sank into the wave of self-abomination for not being with her parents in their sickness. The realization that she selected this life all by herself depressed her further.

Eagerly waiting to go outside her hometown after schooling, now Betsy wants to fly back to the school days where she lived a carefree life and looked up to her parents as some superheroes who can do anything in the world.

She flew back to the time of this unconditional love tale. She didn’t understand the pain and struggle of her parents until she got married. Now she knows the responsibilities and hardships required to bind the family together. The sacrifices her parents have made can never be compensated with anything. She regrets she never thanked her Mom for having sleepless nights and looking after her in the sickness. Despite being exhausted after finishing all the household chores, her mom tried to engage herself in reading a book just to accompany Betsy for late night study during her exams. Many times she canceled the visit to her parents because of Betsy's study. 

Marriage teaches you a lot of lessons. With every passing year of her marriage, the respect for her mom has multiplied. Now she wants to thank her mom for everything. She wants to take care of her parents and be with them when they are not well. She wants to cook their favorite dishes and live with them for months and years like she stayed earlier. But, none of this seems feasible now. Living miles away in the U.S., Betsy is completely engrossed in the vicious cycle of family and job.
Last night she could sense the pain in her mother's voice and the desperation she wants to see her. Betsy tossed and turned full night thinking about her mother's operation. She recalled her Vidaai time when Betsy's mom cried her eyes out and sobbingly told her not to forget her mom and how much she loves her. 

Indeed, all her memories were as fresh as Betsy is living them - her voice, laugh, warmth, anger, care, concern, wholehearted love, the jingling of her anklets, and the aroma of her cuisines.

But, now there are only memories.

"Betsy, Betsy, are you there?” her dad, who was still on the phone, asked in a worried tone. "We have lost her but she will always live in our hearts", he said in a shaky voice, barely covering the sob that was about to break out. He kept his voice low and spoke slowly to relay a sense of steadiness, like the calm before a storm of grief.

She is no More. She is no more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brown Skin Girl

I was told that skin color is like a beautiful gown, soon I realized that my gown was brown. Gazing myself in the mirror I felt so glad, but immediately I was told that brown is bad.  And while growing up I felt every bit, that I am no beauty and I am like an ugly zit. People made fun without giving it a thought, that mocking about physicality hurts and hurts a lot. I felt like my confidence was beaten in a stone hurl, with plunging self-esteem I was no more a proud girl. People threw their advice without asking my consent, from what I should apply on my face to which color can get me compliments. I don't know why some even made that snark? "Your features are good though your complexion is dark". How does that matter? Why do you think you should make me feel better? My physique, my body is my identity. I am proud of it, why do you feel pity? This is me and I don't need your acceptance. Who gave you rights to snap those comments? Thanks to the condescending attitude yo

7 Sleazy Email Subject Lines That Will Kill Your Business

"Why waste a sentence saying nothing?" - Seth Godlin. Seriously, don't waste a sentence especially when it is the email subject line - the soul of the email ?  The first step towards the success of any email campaign is that email should get opened, therefore, a good subject line is extremely important. But, for some marketers, the difference between a good subject line and a misleading subject line has narrowed down. They abuse this powerful weapon to deceive customers into opening the email.  Here are some examples of deceptive subject lines:  You are invited -  For what? Your gift -  And approximately how much money I need to waste to avail this awesome gift? This is your last chance -  I am dying? Congrats! Your account just got created -  Did I ask for it? Your results are here -  What? Did I take any test?  Special discount only for you -  Really? Seems like it is for everyone on your website. Your lab results -   Was I sleepwalkin

First Day at Office: A perfect blend of excitement, anxiety and confusion

Remember the first time you sat on a train, or on a plane? Remember how your heart was infused with the adrenaline rush, when you fell in love the first time? All the firsts have some things in common:  excitement and nervousness -  the first day at college, the first meet with would be in-laws, the first kiss, the first interview, the first day at hostel… And then there is the first day at Office. Yup! I can write a memoir on my first day at the office. I wish my first day could be as smooth as the Po meeting his Panda Clan in the movie Kung Fu Panda 3. On a pragmatic thought, then why the heck I would be writing this. So, let me circle back to the main topic. My first day at office feels like below: Hi, Nice to meet you…  The initial days I feel I am meeting a lot of Monalisas'. Sometimes you will feel people are warm and smiling at you, and the other times you can see a frowning or an inquisitive face - Who is this stranger? Are we going to be friends, just c