Skip to main content

13 Social Media Blunders that Cost People Dearly

social media mistakes, social media blunder
Dear Social Media Savvy,
WHAT SHARING WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE CONSEQUENCES CAN DO? Sometimes the outcomes can be bad, very bad. Here are 13 social media faux pas - some of them are disturbing, some are criminal, and some are just stupid. But whatever they are, they are good enough to teach us a lesson.

1. Scots Guard dismissed from Royal Wedding duty after ranting about Kate Middleton on his Facebook Page

18-year-old Cameron Reilly, a Buckingham Palace guard was dismissed from his royal wedding day duties after calling bride-to-be Catherine (Kate) Middleton a "stuck up cow" and "posh bitch" on Facebook. 
He wrote: 'Her and William drove past me on Friday and all I got was a s****y wave while she looked the opposite way from me, stupid, stuck-up cow. Am I not good enough for them! Posh b****. Who really gives a f*** about her?'
Click here for complete story.

2.Thirteen Virgin Airlines Cabin crew members were sacked for insulting passengers and criticizing safety standards of plane on Facebook

These 13 flight attendants were removed from their jobs after they posted messages on Facebook referring to passengers as ‘Chavs”. The comments also reportedly claimed the airline's jet engines were replaced four times in one year and that planes were infested with cockroaches.
Click here for complete story.

3. Twitter joke led to Terror Act arrest and airport life ban

When heavy snowfall threatened to scupper Paul Chambers's travel plans, he decided to vent his frustrations on Twitter by tapping out a comment to amuse his friends. "Robin Hood airport is closed," he wrote. "You've got a week and a bit to get your shit together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"
A week after posting the message on the social networking site, he was arrested under the Terrorism Act and questioned for almost seven hours by detectives who interpreted his post as a security threat.
Click here for complete story.

4. 15000 people were invited when Birthday girl forget to set Facebook invite to private 

Thessa, a Germany teenager, accidentally made a public Facebook event for her 16th birthday party. Within a few hours, 15000 Facebook users had RSVPed for the party. A cancellation notice was quickly fired out, but was ignored by the estimated 1600 people that showed up to her parents’ home in Bramfeld, Germany.
Click here for complete story.

5. This Burglar “Likes” the vacation post on Facebook before Looting

This story will make you think twice, thrice, or perhaps a million times before announcing your vacation on Facebook.
A man from the city, who was excited about a family vacation in Malaysia and posted the family’s trip details on Facebook, including that their house was locked, returned to find the home burgled. According to police, the arrested person was not a notorious or a regular offender. The ‘tempting’ information shared on Facebook had driven him to commit the theft.
Click here for complete story.

6. A 4 year old was digitally kidnapped on Facebook

Danica Patterson was horrified when informed by her friends about a stranger was using images of her 4-year-old daughter young Bryleigh on his own profile. Under the photos of Bryleigh, Figueroa wrote, “Ma daughter gunna break y'all sons hearts (sic),” and “Girl version of me,” and “This is how she looks in the morning… she said daddy stop [taking pictures].”
Patterson's only legal option was to complain to Facebook, which she did immediately. Patterson also tried to reason with her daughter's digital kidnapper by sending him a message and asking him to take the pictures down. Patterson was quickly blocked by Figueroa, making it impossible to report each individual image.
Click here for complete story.

7. It is not good to be racist

Georgia youth football coach landed him in trouble after making racist remarks. He wrote the following on Facebook: "I was dining in an Asian buffet today (big surprise), and I heard this morning how Asian students are suppodely so much smarter than American kids. My personal observation is that those fishheads still eat with chopsticks. It took Western ingenuity to invent the fork. I'm just saying. ... they ain't that friggin' smart."
Citizens came down hard on the organization and the coach.
Click here for complete story.

8.When a juror needs Facebook friends to make a decision

A British woman serving jury duty posted details of the child abduction and sex assault case on the social networking site. She then invited friends to help her decide whether the defendants were guilty or innocent. She wrote, "I don't know which way to go, so I'm holding a poll."
This led to her dismissal from from Burnley Crown Court, Lancshire
Click here for complete story.

9. Bank Intern busted by Facebook

Kevin Colvin, an intern at Anglo Irish Bank's North American arm, told his manager, Paul Davis, that he was going to miss work due to a “family emergency”. May be Kevin didn’t think about what Facebook could do. He posted the above photo from the Halloween Party which he missed work for. Davis soon discovered as much after Colvin posted this questionable image on his Facebook page. Not only he fired Kevin, but also attached the image to his reply and CC'd the entire office.
Click here for complete story.

10. Bikini Car wash gets cop fired

A South Carolina police officer was removed from his duties after a photo surfaced on Facebook of scantily-clad women posing on the hood of his town police cruiser.
The police officer thought he was helping out a good cause by taking his cruiser down to be washed at a fundraiser for the Shriners Hospital in Georgia.
Click here for complete story.

11. Taco Bell employee pictured licking taco shells on Facebook

A young Taco Bell worker posted a prank photo of himself licking a stack of taco shells, ultimately resulting in his being fired. Food fans collectively wretched this shocking photograph, and expressed outrage and fear that they would be victimized by being served licked taco shells. 
Click here for complete story.

12. Animal cruelty published on Facebook

Naomi Anderson was charged with animal cruelty after filming the decapitation of a mouse with a steak knife and posting it on Facebook. The mouse took 40 seconds to die.
Anderson was banned from owning an animal for two years, and put on an 18-month good behaviour bond in addition to her community service.
Click here for complete story.

13. This lady lost her job after abusing her boss on Facebook (the picture says it all)

Click here for complete story.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brown Skin Girl

I was told that skin color is like a beautiful gown, soon I realized that my gown was brown. Gazing myself in the mirror I felt so glad, but immediately I was told that brown is bad.  And while growing up I felt every bit, that I am no beauty and I am like an ugly zit. People made fun without giving it a thought, that mocking about physicality hurts and hurts a lot. I felt like my confidence was beaten in a stone hurl, with plunging self-esteem I was no more a proud girl. People threw their advice without asking my consent, from what I should apply on my face to which color can get me compliments. I don't know why some even made that snark? "Your features are good though your complexion is dark". How does that matter? Why do you think you should make me feel better? My physique, my body is my identity. I am proud of it, why do you feel pity? This is me and I don't need your acceptance. Who gave you rights to snap those comments? Thanks to the condescending attitude yo

7 Sleazy Email Subject Lines That Will Kill Your Business

"Why waste a sentence saying nothing?" - Seth Godlin. Seriously, don't waste a sentence especially when it is the email subject line - the soul of the email ?  The first step towards the success of any email campaign is that email should get opened, therefore, a good subject line is extremely important. But, for some marketers, the difference between a good subject line and a misleading subject line has narrowed down. They abuse this powerful weapon to deceive customers into opening the email.  Here are some examples of deceptive subject lines:  You are invited -  For what? Your gift -  And approximately how much money I need to waste to avail this awesome gift? This is your last chance -  I am dying? Congrats! Your account just got created -  Did I ask for it? Your results are here -  What? Did I take any test?  Special discount only for you -  Really? Seems like it is for everyone on your website. Your lab results -   Was I sleepwalkin

First Day at Office: A perfect blend of excitement, anxiety and confusion

Remember the first time you sat on a train, or on a plane? Remember how your heart was infused with the adrenaline rush, when you fell in love the first time? All the firsts have some things in common:  excitement and nervousness -  the first day at college, the first meet with would be in-laws, the first kiss, the first interview, the first day at hostel… And then there is the first day at Office. Yup! I can write a memoir on my first day at the office. I wish my first day could be as smooth as the Po meeting his Panda Clan in the movie Kung Fu Panda 3. On a pragmatic thought, then why the heck I would be writing this. So, let me circle back to the main topic. My first day at office feels like below: Hi, Nice to meet you…  The initial days I feel I am meeting a lot of Monalisas'. Sometimes you will feel people are warm and smiling at you, and the other times you can see a frowning or an inquisitive face - Who is this stranger? Are we going to be friends, just c