Skip to main content

7 Sleazy Email Subject Lines That Will Kill Your Business

email subject line mistakes, worst email subject lines, worst emails, email mistakes, email blunders, subject line mistakes, subject line blunders, email best practices
"Why waste a sentence saying nothing?" - Seth Godlin.

Seriously, don't waste a sentence especially when it is the email subject line - the soul of the email

The first step towards the success of any email campaign is that email should get opened, therefore, a good subject line is extremely important. But, for some marketers, the difference between a good subject line and a misleading subject line has narrowed down. They abuse this powerful weapon to deceive customers into opening the email. 

Here are some examples of deceptive subject lines: 

  • You are invited - For what?
  • Your gift - And approximately how much money I need to waste to avail this awesome gift?
  • This is your last chance - I am dying?
  • Congrats! Your account just got created - Did I ask for it?
  • Your results are here - What? Did I take any test? 
  • Special discount only for you - Really? Seems like it is for everyone on your website.
  • Your lab results - Was I sleepwalking when I gave a sample for the medical test?
  • Your appointment is confirmed - For?
  • Smoking Hot - Are you talking about food? Oh! are you complimenting me?
No Kidding, this above nonsense is from my email inbox.

A subject line is the first impression that either paves the way to open the email or shut it forever. It is a preview that sets the subscriber's expectation of what’s inside.

64% of people say they open an email because of the subject line.

But, if it turns into a gimmick just to get the email opened, and email speaks of something else, it results in damaging trust, ruining the brand image, unsubscribed emails, low click-through rate, and eventually a bad customer experience.

A 2011 case study conducted by AWeber Communications found that a clear subject line gets 541% more clicks than one that tries to be clever. So, give this baby a little extra attention. After all, it is the weapon to stand out in the competition.

Here are 7 common email subject line mistakes marketers should avoid:

1. Pretending to be someone else 

Not disclosing the real identity of the sender and fooling the subscribers make them hate you. Here is a perfect example:



The subject line in my email inbox:

I received this message which appears to be coming from SBI Bank with the subject line: SBI Charged from your account.

How did I interpret it?

It looked like an important email from SBI notifying me about money deduction from the account. Therefore, I opened the email to check the details.

What the email was actually about?

This email wasn't from SBI but from a news website. The sender used SBI Brand name to cause fear. The duping subject line was simply a trick to visit their website and read the article, which by the way was actually about how much SBI charge for various banking services.

How can someone stoop down to cashing in on a Brand’s Goodwill to get their content discovered? It is unethical.

2. Tricking about a fake email exchange

Receiving an email with FW: or RE: in the subject line indicates that it is an ongoing email conversation. Therefore, the email should be seen and responded.
But, some marketers betray this trust and fool people into reading their email. Here is an Example:



The subject line in my email inbox: 

“RE: Thank You: Seema”

How did I interpret it?

So, it has two things- first, a RE: which authenticates that it is a running conversation thread, and second, it has a personal thank you line.

What the email was actually about?

It was a sham. The email was actually about the 50% off till midnight sale on a marketing course.

The discount offer was a gesture to say thank you since I have subscribed to their marketing blog.

Can’t this "50% off on marketing course" be mentioned directly in the subject line? The fake line can get more opens, but the latter one would have received the deserved opens, from those who are inclined to learn about marketing. Simple logic, isn’t it?

3. False urgency to take an action

Here a fake urgency is used to panic the recipients and hurrying them to open the email.



The subject line in my email inbox: 

I received a worrisome email with the title: “Facebook-warns to change password immediately”, 
and the sender’s name: FB-info

How did I interpret it?

The first thought was that perhaps my account is hacked, so I quickly opened the email and the Facebook app to check any mysterious activities.

What the email was actually about?

Firstly, it wasn't from Facebook. Secondly, again it was from some website. The sender tried to trick me to visit the website and read the news.

The news was actually about a viral and fake Facebook status convincing users that their social media accounts are safe from hackers if they type “BFF” in a comment and the comment appears green.

The news is informative, but the way of routing to the news is terrible.
I would have preferred to see the actual heading in the subject line.

4. Communicating a fake action taken by the recipient

It looks like a response to some activity/action done, like below:



The subject line and sender’s name in my email inbox: 

Sender’s Name: Appointment Confirmed 
Subject line: Hi Seema, Your Health Check-up timing slot is fixed@Rs.599.!!

How did I interpret it?

My first thoughts after reading were - Really? I didn’t book for any health check-up, then who did it for me? What is it?

What the email was actually about?

It was an email offering to conduct full body test @Rs. 599.

Transaction emails related to any order, any service or any action have high open rates, i.e.why some use it as a decoy and fool people. 

5. Greed 

We all love discounts, and a gift and something free. It is not easy to let a great deal go even when we are not in much need. Offers like below excite the recipients to explore more about it. Example:
  • Subject line: Free masks for you
  • Reality: Buy 5 masks and get 2 masks free
  • Subject line: A 50% off just for you
  • Reality: It is for everyone on the website
  • Subject Line: Don’t miss the Flat 20% on all products
  • Reality: It wasn’t off on all the products

6. Vague subject lines 

Here are some subject lines where the sender have sacrificed clarity. These are just beating around the bush. Also, not incorporating the right keywords in the subject line make these emails less searchable later. Example:
  • Dreams?
  • Old is Gold
  • More is Less
  • Small but mighty
  • Lucky you

7. Incomplete subject lines

These leave a room for guessing. Using such methods is a vile attempt to channelize the reader’s curiosity into a click. Some examples:
  • OMG! You know what!
  • Click to claim your voucher of Rs…

An email has the ability to create a personal touch not just by adding the first/last name, but also by adding relevant content that customers find valuable.

And the journey to email engagement starts with a meaningful subject line.

Misleading subject lines can tank the entire email campaign efforts and can become the reason for an ugly break-up with the recipient.

Imagine you hand over the email to each person physically, what would you have said when handing it over? And how you would have said it?

Marketers can’t go very far by creating a campaign on falsehood.

After all, emails are not sent to machines, but to real people operating those machines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Brown Skin Girl

I was told that skin color is like a beautiful gown, soon I realized that my gown was brown. Gazing myself in the mirror I felt so glad, but immediately I was told that brown is bad.  And while growing up I felt every bit, that I am no beauty and I am like an ugly zit. People made fun without giving it a thought, that mocking about physicality hurts and hurts a lot. I felt like my confidence was beaten in a stone hurl, with plunging self-esteem I was no more a proud girl. People threw their advice without asking my consent, from what I should apply on my face to which color can get me compliments. I don't know why some even made that snark? "Your features are good though your complexion is dark". How does that matter? Why do you think you should make me feel better? My physique, my body is my identity. I am proud of it, why do you feel pity? This is me and I don't need your acceptance. Who gave you rights to snap those comments? Thanks to the condescending attitude yo

This is How B2B Win Hearts on Valentine's Day

Brands go gaga in this love-is-in-the-air-month to show their affection for customers through offers, gifts, discounts, contests, etc. Look for what B2C do around this season on the internet, and you will find a multitude of fun and enthralling ideas and campaigns. Search for what B2B do and you will find not many but a few relevant links. The information available for B2B Valentine's Day marketing is synonymous with customer engagement tactics revolving around business. But Valentine’s Day is more than that. It is about people submerging themselves in those palpable exuberant love vibes. It is about getting cozy with your near and dear ones and express your feelings. It is about going beyond business and customers. However, B2B is often seen wrapped in their conservative cocoon and rolling eyes at such events? Because Roses are Red,  Violets are Blue, B2C celebrate Valentine’s Day,  What a B2B has to do? Well, to know the answer, read on further. If y